- Sir Robert Menzies Memorial Trust is formed.
- Northern Territory is given self-government.
- Pat O'Shane becomes the first Aboriginal law graduate and first Aboriginal barrister.
- "A study of the ethnic origins of the Australian population in 1978 found that 77% of people had British origins, with 45% coming from England. Other major groups of ethnic origin were the Italians, Germans, Dutch and Greeks. Aborigines and Torres Strait Islanders accounted for 1% of the population."
The Macquarie Book of Events, 1983 p 71.
- Parliament approves new Parliament House.