- Arthur Calwell, Labor leader from 1960-68, receives an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Melbourne where Sir Robert is serving the first of three consecutive terms as Chancellor.
- Visits England to unveil a statue of Sir Winston Churchill, receives an honorary doctorate from the University of Kent, and performs his annual duty as Lord Warden.
- On returning from England using a walking stick, he is quoted as saying 'We're both in pretty good repair ... I'm a little groggy underfoot.'
- Apollo XI lands on the moon: Armstrong and Aldrin are the first men to walk on the moon's surface, 20 July.
- Withdrawal of troops from Vietnam begins.
- China's "Cultural Revolution" formally ends. The following years are devoted to restoring normal conditions in China.
- Civil disturbances in Ulster: Britain sends troops to Ulster to support the civil authorities.
- First supersonic flight of Concorde airliner in October.